When we talk about Sicilian cuisine we can't help but think ofCannoli. This dessert in fact represents Sicily itself in Italy and throughout the world.
Their taste is unique in the world, with the characteristic filling ofricotta cheese which is often also seasoned with many elements with chocolate or candied fruit.
In this post you will find out how to prepare your original homemade Sicilian cannoli.
History of Sicilian Cannoli.
If we talk about Italian pastry it is extremely difficultdo not think with Sicilian cannoli. The most characteristic and iconic sweets of the Sicilian tradition!
This dessert certainly has ancient origins we know it was prepared for the carnival but a little blurry as it is true of almost every traditional food and e historical.
However, we know that the name of this dessert comes from the reeds of the river which were used to give the typical shape to the pasta that makes up the Sicilian cannoli.
Sicilian Cannoli: History and Legends
It is very difficult to give an exact origin to such an ancient product as Sicilian cannoli!!
Precisely because of its antiquity in fact theSicilian cannolo it gets lost between myths and legends that we easily meet surfing the web.
Among the most popular versions that have no confirmation, however, there would be the story according to which the women favored by the Miro dedicated their time to the preparation of particularly tasty dishes, thus inventing the cannolo for reference to the qualities of their sultan.tano.
Among the rest we also have a theory that cannoli were invented in a convent near Caltanissetta.
Name of the Sicilian Cannolo
What we are sure of even today is that the name of the Sicilian cannoli certainly dates back toArab domination of Sicily between l827 and 1091.1).
It seems that, while sheep ricotta was a food already processed and produced in Sicily at the time, it was instead the Arabs who first worked sheep ricotta together with other products such as dried fruit, candied fruit, cinnamon, saffron and many more. other…
How to prepare Sicilian cannoli: ingredients and procedure.
Ingredients for 30 cannoli:
- 00 flour: 260 g
- Lard: 30 g cold from the fridgeo)
- Fine salt: 1 tsp
- White wine vinegar: 10 g
- Sugar: 20 g
- Bitter cocoa powder: 5 g
- Eggs: 20 g
- Marsala: 60 g
- Seed oil: 1 l
- Candied cherries
- Icing sugar
- Pistachio nuts
- Candied orange
Ingredients for the filling of Sicilian cannoli:
- Sheep ricotta: 1 kg
- Sugar 130 g
- Dark chocolate chips: 80 g
- Let's start preparing the waffle. Pour into a bowl: flour, sifted cocoa, sugar, salt, cold lard from the fridge.
- Beat 20 g of egg and add it to the bowl together with the rest. Keep the remaining egg aside, you will use it to brush the cannoli later.di)
- Pour the marsala and laceto, then begin to knead with your handsi
- Bring the dough out of the bowl and continue to work it vigorously for about 10 minutes, until the dough becomes homogeneous. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 1 hour.a.
- Take the dough from the fridge and let it rest at room temperature for half an hour.a.
- Divide the dough in half and take one of the halves leaving the other covered.a.
- Lightly flour both sides, mash well with your hands and then go to the pasta roll machine. If the dough breaks, mix again and repeat the procedure..
- As soon as the result appears to be very compact, fold the two ends inside and go over the whole thing at the pasta roll machine. Repeat this 3-4 times until everything is smooth..
- Now that the sheet will be smooth, fold it only once and pass it now 3-4 more times at the pasta machine.
- Then fold the sheet again, this time always a fold on the short side in order to obtain a low and long sheet. Switch to the rollers again. Keep pulling until the thickness on the machine is 0.5 mm. In case your pastry is getting too long, split it up and continue.
- As soon as your dough is 0.5 mm thick, divide it in half and work on one of them. Cut with a smooth blade cutter, making 10 cm squares on each side.
- Take a square in your hand and place an oblique steel cylinder in the center of the square between one corner and the other. Wrap one of the free corners around the cylinder, then brush one edge with the egg and join it to the other. So you will have formed the first cannolo.nolo.
- Continue like this with all your dough, leaving the cannoli to dry before cooking..
- Heat the oil up to 180 with the help of a kitchen thermometer. Fry the cannoli one at a time with a slotted spoon. Keep them immersed for a few moments, so that they do not touch the bottom of the pot and cannot burn. Turn them continuously for less than 1 minute.uto.
Then drain the cannoli with tongs.
- Place them on a tray with kitchen paper and let them become warm before removing the cylinder from the inside. At this point, gently squeeze the cannolo and push the cylinder in the opposite direction to which you wash inserted to remove it gently. Let it cool completely.o.
- Take a bowl and sift the ricotta, then pour sugar and work everything with a spatula.
- Add chocolate chips to the mixture, mix everything. Put everything in a sac-à-poche and stuff the cannoli.
- Then garnish if you like with pistachios, candied orange peel, cherries or fast sugar.e.
- Serve your cannoli and enjoy!!
If you don't have time to make cannoli at home, try oursFRESH CANNOLI KIT and receive it at your home in just 48 hours. We guarantee you the freshness of the product as if you were buying it from your trusted pastry chef in Sicily.