If you have been to Sicily at least once, you will have tasted them: brioche with tuppo are a recipe of the typical Sicilian pastry . These are very soft and fragrant homemade brioches that can be enjoyed for breakfast or as a snack. But, if we really want to be honest, on the island they are the absolute protagonists of the summer: they are part of the typical Sicilian breakfast together with another of the flagships of Sicilian pastry. Before you ask yourself, we anticipate: why are they called that ? Their name derives from the fact that their appearance recalls the chignon that Sicilian women used - and still use - to keep their hair in order. In Sicilian dialect, this is called "tuppo".
Brioche with tuppo and granita: the typical Sicilian breakfast
In the morning, in practically all Sicilian ice cream shops, you will hear an order for a granita with brioscia : nothing strange, it is the name by which those with tuppo are meant, without danger of misunderstanding. Yes, because the latter is the first to end up straight into the glass to meet the slush with which to go, finally, to gratify our taste buds. In addition to the latter, brioche col tuppo are typically filled with ice cream .
Sicilian brioche with tuppo original recipe
The original recipe of our heroines provides for a long leavening , which allows us to take them out of the oven soft and fragrant. The ingredients are quite common, but what makes the difference, besides the quality of the raw materials, will be the aromas . Don't forget the grated citrus zest. Here's what you need to bake brioche with tuppo from Messina .
Ingredients for very soft Sicilian brioche
- 450 g of flour 0
- 150 gr of Manitoba flour
- 1 egg
- 75 g of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 300 ml of warm milk
- 6 g of powdered brewer's yeast
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- zest of a grated lemon
- grated zest of an orange
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 yolk
Preparation of brioche with tuppo
- Pour the two types of flour into a bowl. Mix the honey with the grated citrus peel and the vanilla extract.
- Add the yeast, the freshly beaten egg and the sugar to the flours, a pinch of salt and a glass of milk.
- Activate the mixer and let it work until the dough comes together.
- Slowly add the remaining milk and the mixture of honey and citrus peel. Lastly, add the soft butter cut into pieces. Mix again.
- Create a loaf, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise for about two hours.
- After these, take portions of about 70 g and the same number of 10 from the dough.
- Create balls with the larger ones and place them on a tray covered with oven paper.
- Create the balls with the smaller ones and place them on top of the large ones (in which you will have created a hollow). Let them rise again for 3-4 hours.
- Mix the egg yolk with the milk and use the mixture to gently brush the surface of the brioches.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 20 minutes.
Sicilian brioche with tuppo, online sale
If you love to cook, all the preparation won't weigh you down. But, if you would rather give it up rather than turn on the oven in the summer (who can blame you), you can buy Sicilian brioches with tuppo ( the real ones , no imitations), directly on Sicilyaddict . Here you will find not only the brioche with tuppo packaged with long shelf life , but the Sicilybox Kits complete with Sicilian Granita with Brioche with Tuppo and Cream . Yes, you read that correctly. And, as if that weren't enough, the Sicily box "La bomba col tuppo ". If you want to know what it is, we give you a preview. Imagine the encounter between a soft brioche, a voluptuous pistachio cream and a fresh sheep's ricotta ...
Sicilian brioches original recipe with lard
Nothing could be simpler: the recipe for Sicilian brioches with lard involves replacing the butter with the same amount of this. The flavor will be a little stronger, but just as delicious. This is the original version, the one that grandmothers used to prepare and which guaranteed, just like now, very soft brioche with tuppo.
Sicilian brioche with tuppo, the Thermomix recipe
The procedure with the Thermomix concerns only the initial part.
- Pour the milk at room temperature, the butter, the sugar and the yeast into the mixing bowl and mix for 2 minutes at 37°, speed 2.
- Add the mixture of honey and grated peel, flour, egg, vanilla, salt and mix for 3 minutes on speed vel Spiga.
- Take the dough, transfer it to rise and continue as above.