Among the Sicilian gastronomic excellences , that of the Nebrodi black pig represents a quality meat that is the protagonist of products known for their unmistakable taste. But what makes this breed so precious and what are the characteristics of the Slow Food Presidium ?
Nebrodi black pig, Slow Food Presidium
Bred in the wild (or nearly so), the black pig is a small-sized native breed found especially in the mountainous areas of Messina, i.e. in the Nebrodi mountains, where it has found its ideal habitat. It is a breed that, over the years, has seen a considerable reduction in the number of animals. In order to protect it, it has become a Slow Food Presidium .
It would be unforgivable from various points of view, not least the genetic and economic ones, to allow the extinction of this swine species (one of the few that survived in Italy). Not to mention, obviously, the gastronomic pleasure that derives from it: the Nebrodi black pig-based products are highly appreciated even outside the region. The Presidium has brought together various farms and promotes more traditional products.
What does the Nebrodi black pig eat?
The feeding of the Nebrodi black pig is mainly based on acorns and cereals. It would be this "diet" of his that is partly responsible for the precious nutritional values that characterize him and that make his meat so tasty.
Is the Nebrodi black pig dangerous?
The fact that there have been episodes of aggression by these animals against humans have increased the fear of the dangers of the Nebrodi black pig . What is certain is that it is a pig with a particularly aggressive character and which, in addition to causing damage to crops, can be dangerous for humans.
The traditional Nebrodi black pig products
Precisely because of its specific genetic characteristics , black pig meat is of the highest quality : it lends itself to both fresh and stuffed preparations. There are numerous typical products in which the Nebrodi black pig is appreciated in all its rusticity. Among the traditional ones linked to the territory there are:
- The Nebrodi black pig salami , perfect to be enjoyed simply with bread and a glass of good red face.
- Raw ham from Nebrodi black pigs . Hams have also recently joined the Presidium, joining the other cured meats. To be enjoyed strictly at room temperature!
- The stretched bacon of Nebrodi black pigs . Perfect to eat sliced as part of rustic appetizers or in place of oil or butter in the preparation of sautéed vegetables.
- Capocollo of Nebrodi black pig . Obtained from the neck of the black pig, it gives a savory and fragrant meat. It is ideal for snacks and fortified aperitifs.
- Fresh and dried black pork sausage . The first can be cooked and the second eaten in pieces, both are capable of tickling the palate of those who find them in front of them.
If you are passionate or would like to give a gift to someone who loves it, on Sicilyaddict you will find a box dedicated to the Nebrodi black pig . A box of wonders containing 5 different cured meats (we warned you!).
Nebrodi black pig meat, its properties
The meat of the black pigs of the wild Nebrodi is rich in group B vitamins and mineral salts. It has very variable percentages of proteins and lipids but it is not exclusively fat. It can count on some rather lean cuts suitable for a balanced diet. The meat of animals living in the wild is rich in essential fatty acids of the Omega 6 family. Not to mention the absence of products or medicines widely used in industrial farms. The resulting sausages have a delicate, sweet taste and an intense aroma.