Is the summer heat starting to kick in? July fruits and vegetables come to your rescue!
If you stay all month in the city you will surely need to eat in a balanced way, especially to fight the heat. How? This month's seasonal fruit and vegetables are excellent allies! Thanks to the high temperatures, fans and air conditioners, our body is affected by climate change, therefore, it is a good idea to replenish fruit and vegetables with lots of water.
July fruits and vegetables: what to buy?
To make shopping easier, we have decided to make you a real list of products to put in your cart that can help you beat the summer heat. Let's find out together:
Beets, carrots, cucumbers, chicory, onions, spring onions
Apricots, watermelon, black cherries, cherries, fioroni figs
Green beans, courgette flowers, lettuce, aubergines
Strawberry, raspberries, lemons, melons, blueberries
New potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, rhubarb
Pears, peaches, currants, plums, medlars
Radishes, rocket, shallots, snow peas, courgettes
Currants and watermelon: shield for health and thirst-quenching pulp
These two fruits are valid friends for our body. Reason? Red or black currants have a purifying and diuretic, astringent, refreshing and protective action on the retina, blood vessels and capillaries.
It grows spontaneously in central Italy and in the Apennines, where it is harvested in this month. Currants are rich in citric acid, malic acid, vitamin C, trace elements, polyunsaturated acids, flavonoids and anthocyanins. It has a very low glycemic index and is easily digestible. In the therapeutic field, every part of the currant is used: the buds to help the body fight inflammation, the leaves to purify and the fruits to strengthen the circulatory system.
How is it used in the kitchen? Great for making jam and sweet liqueurs, but not only! Eat it in fresh yoghurt, use it as a decoration for sweet and savory dishes and cocktails. Its slightly acidic pulp is perfect for making savory recipes with game-based fruit and vegetables.
And the watermelon? It is the symbol of summer of course! Composed of 92% water, it is thirst-quenching and refreshing, it gives the right energy boost to face a hot day and is ideal for hydrating the body. Do you know why it has that unmistakable red color? It is due to the lycopene contained in the pulp which makes it an antioxidant food. Do you suffer from heart disease? It's your perfect ally because it also reduces bad cholesterol levels in the blood and can be consumed by those who follow a low-calorie diet since it's low in calories and, since it's rich in water, it counteracts water retention.
How to choose a good watermelon? Don't knock, because no one will answer anyway. To be sure you're buying a really good one, take a look at its stalk, if it's dry, leave it there. If it has yellow spots or streaks on the fruit, it indicates that the watermelon is well ripe.
Recipes with seasonal vegetables in July
This month offers a great variety of recipes in the kitchen. Thanks to the heat, perhaps the desire to cook is scarce, but if you follow our suggestions, the time spent will be more fun! Here are some recipes to try to enhance seasonal vegetables, such as peppers, tomatoes, aubergines:
- Risotto with peppers : colourful, summery, perfect for outdoor lunches;
- Spaghetti with mussels and peppers : craving for the sea? Fulfill the craving for waves and blues with this recipe!
- Pappa al pomodoro : typical dish of the Italian tradition to be eaten cold, perfect for those days when you want to eat healthy and light;
- Spelled with octopus and green beans : cold or hot, this recipe isn't exactly very quick because the octopus needs to be cooked for a long time to make it tender, but it's a valid alternative to cold pasta!
- Baked omelette with zucchini and mint : easy to prepare, super light and fragrant. What else ?
What desserts and preserves to prepare with the fruit of the month of July?
Thanks to the warm season, having breakfast in the garden or on the balcony becomes a beautiful daily routine. Why not start the day with natural foods, such as jams, with seasonal fruit? You are spoiled for choice!
- Peach jam : with acidic notes, this jam is excellent as a garnish for delicious tarts or in any case for all fresh no-bake cakes, such as cheesecakes, perfect for those who don't want to turn on the oven;
- Watermelon peel jam : for those who love to experiment with new flavors in the kitchen, watermelon peel jam is super simple to make!
- Fig jam : imagine a peasant appetizer with cold cuts and cheeses, what would you accompany us? We have a wonderful fig jam!
- Apricot semifreddo : fresh and impressive recipe, the semifreddo does not require the use of the oven (fortunately) and will conquer all palates!
- Melon and port granita : do you want to impress your guests? Serve a melon and port granita at the table; the surprise effect will be guaranteed!
There are many dishes and desserts that can be prepared with the fruit and vegetables of the month of July and one is tastier (and more colourful) than the other. What's your favorite recipe? Which will you prepare next?